- The job must be active and not expired
- Your application status can't be marked as "declined"
Application Submitted Externally
After clicking Apply Externally on a job posting, you're redirected to the employer's preferred application site.
In Handshake, the job posting will update to ask "Did you finish your application?".
- Clicking No will withdraw you from the job posting in Handshake altogether.
- Clicking Yes will change the text to "Application Submitted".
If you submitted your application through the employer's external site, you'll only be able to withdraw your application from Handshake.
Removing your application from Handshake won't impact the application submitted through the external site, as only the employer will be able to withdraw your application from there.
To withdraw an application that's been marked as submitted in Handshake, we recommend reaching out to your school's Career Center, and providing them with the job title and a direct link to the job. The Career Services team will be able to determine the employer's application preferences, and they may be able to remove your application record in Handshake directly.
Application submitted through Greenhouse Integration
Some employers choose to integrate Greenhouse with Handshake. When applying for a job posted via Greenhouse, the apply prompt will include a note above Submit Application:
"Employer is using Greenhouse to track applications. To withdraw this application after submission, you will need to contact Employer."
Applications submitted via Greenhouse can't be withdrawn in Handshake by anyone except the employer. They are the only ones that'll be able to withdraw the application in Greenhouse directly.
Application submitted in Handshake
You can withdraw an application that's "Pending" review. Once the employer has reviewed your application, you'll need to reach out to your career center to request a withdrawal.
1. Click your account icon in the upper-right corner of Handshake, then click on My Jobs.
2. From the list that appears, locate and click on the job title that you'd like to withdraw your application from. The status must be "Pending" for you to be able to withdraw your application.
Tip: use the filters on the left of the page to narrow down the displayed list.
3. On the job overview page, click Withdraw Application.
In the popup that appears, confirm you'd like to withdraw your application from the job and any associated Interview schedules by clicking the red button Withdraw.
Application attached to an Interview Schedule in Handshake
You can withdraw an application as long as it's "Pending" review. Once the application has been reviewed, you won't be able to withdraw the application, and you'll need to reach out to your career center to request a withdrawal.
1. Click on Events in the upper-left corner of the Handshake screen.
2. In the upper-left of the page that loads, click the On-Campus Interviews tab.
3. Locate and click on the relevant Interview schedule.
If the employer re-opens a job that was previously posted on Handshake, and you were declined at that time, you’ll need to connect with your school's career center to help withdraw your application so that you can re-apply.
To find your school's contact information, refer to How to Locate your School’s Contact Information in Handshake.
To re-apply to a job after withdrawing an application, you may do so at any time as long as the job posting is still active (not expired). For more information on applying for jobs in Handshake, refer to Apply for a Job in Handshake.