What are Reviews? Reviews are an opportunity for students to share feedback on internship experiences with other students and their employer. We encourage students to provide honest, constructive feedback in their own voice. Students may edit, update or delete their reviews at any time.
All reviews must comply with our Content Guidelines before being posted on an employer's Handshake Company Page. You can find more information on our Content Guidelines in the section below, as well as in this article: Handshake Internship Reviews - Content Guidelines
Example Handshake Company Page with Reviews
We want to help students
- Explore careers and make decisions with more information
- Get advice specific to the companies and roles they’re interested in
- Gain insight into company culture, mentorship, and learning, which is often harder to gauge
We want to help employers:
- Engage all students by giving them an authentic look into the company from their peers.
- Tell your brand story by activating former interns as brand ambassadors.
- Get authentic feedback by giving you access to thoughtful, nuanced, reviews written by students from all backgrounds and moderated by us.
FAQs for Students
What are the privacy options for my review?
You have three options for privacy settings on your review:
- Public: Your Full Name, Profile Picture, School Year, Major and School are visible to your career center, students at your school, students at other schools, and employers.
- Hidden Name and Profile Picture: Your Full Name and Profile Picture are hidden. Your School Year, Major and School are visible to your career center, students at your school, students at other schools, and employers.
- Not Visible to Students or Employers: Your review is not published. Only your Career Center can see your review.
Will my employer be able to see my review?
Yes, your employer will be able to see your review if it is “Public” or “Hidden Name and Profile Picture.”
Can I edit or delete my review?
You can edit or delete your review at any time by visiting your profile and clicking on the “Reviews” tab.
How will reviews appear in Handshake?
When reviews are published, they will appear on company pages in Handshake.
My review is “pending approval” what does that mean?
If you see a “pending approval” notice above your review, it means that Handshake’s moderators have yet to look at your review. It should take no more than 5 business days for moderators to approve a review.
Handshake moderators read every review before they are published to ensure they comply with our Content Guidelines:
- Authoritative: The reviewer must have worked for the employer being reviewed
- Unique: Only one review per internship or job experience
- Original: All reviews should be original
- Comprehensible: All reviews should be literate and comprehensible
- Not Personal: No negative reviews that identify individuals or contact info
- Not Profane: No profanities, threats of violence or discriminatory language
- Not Confidential: Cannot reveal confidential company information
- Not Spam: No advertisements or irrelevant content
My review was declined - what do I do?
If you see an alert that your review was declined, our moderators will have included an explanation about why it was declined in relation to our Content Guidelines.
We strongly encourage you to edit your review according to that feedback and resubmit it for re-moderation. We want to make sure other students can read and learn about your experience!
Can an employer flag a review for removal?
Yes. If a student leaves a review that the employer believe violates Handshake’s Content Guidelines, they may flag the post for moderation. Our content moderators will check that review and, based on the Content Guidelines, determine whether to keep the review up or remove the review from public view. In most cases, we will notify the student of the complaint and provide an opportunity for you to correct the issue.