Every user must have a valid email address in order to have a Handshake account, and that email address must be confirmed during account creation. The confirmation email sent is a key part of Handshake's security and an integral aspect of the user experience on Handshake.
Occasionally emails from Handshake don't show up right away or could be captured by the wrong filter. This article explores where the email may have gone and how to retrieve it.
When logged into Handshake, if you are on a page that reads "Thanks for signing up with Handshake", then your next step is finding and verifying your confirmation email.
Here's an example of that screen:
While emails generally are delivered within seconds of account creation, sometimes the process can take a bit longer for a variety of reasons. We recommend allowing at least an hour for delivery time.
If the confirmation email isn't showing up for you, we recommend to take the steps below:
- Check your spam and junk mail. Since this is an automated email, some providers may filter the message from your inbox. If you're using a common mail client you can find instructions below.
- Keyword search all mailboxes using "Email Confirmation" (the email's subject line). This can better surface the email if it's been filtered to an unexpected location.
- Add Handshake to your address book with the following contact email: "email@example.com". After adding this contact, resend the confirmation email from Handshake (Step 3 on the thanks for signing up page).
- This will help ensure delivery of future emails, and is important for keeping you up to date in your professional life.
- Contact your institution's IT department and ask if they know of any reasons emails from Handshake would be denied.
After taking each of the steps above, submit a ticket to Handshake Support. We'll work with you to get the email delivered.
Best Practice: when submitting a ticket, include a summary of the steps you've taken so far! This will save time and result in a more efficient interaction!