Ready to start using Handshake? Great! Here are five steps you can take to jump-start your Handshake experience!
1. Login to Handshake.
- If your school has partnered with Handshake, you should have a link from the email your Career Services Center sent you.
- If you don't have that email, try going to this page, and search for your school name from the dropdown menu to proceed. (Schools are listed in alphabetical order, and only the first 25 are shown.)
Once you've selected your school, sign in by either using your school's login option or by entering your .edu email address. If there isn't an account on file for you, you'll be prompted to set up an account. Select I'm a Student or Alumni to proceed with account creation.
You'll need to decide on your profile privacy level: Community, Employers, or Private. You can read more about these options here.
- If you choose Employers or Community privacy level, keep in mind the more information you add to your profile, the easier it will be for employers to find you and make more thorough decisions about whether or not you might be a good fit for their job opportunities.
If you're an alum and need to set your password, please refer to Log In as an Alum: Set your Handshake Password.
If you've created an account, and you're not seeing the confirmation email, refer to Troubleshooting Missing Confirmation Email for additional steps.
Once you've created your account, check out The Student On-boarding Experience for more information!
2. Now that you're logged in to Handshake, upload a resume.
You'll likely want to have a public resume available in Handshake for employers (and your school's Career Development Services team) to see.
To learn more about how to upload a document, refer to How to Upload a New Document. Once you've uploaded a resume, you can use it to fill in your profile — refer to Build Profile from Resume for more information.
3. Fill out your profile.
If there are already details in your profile, this means your school partners with Handshake and has pre-loaded your information, usually based on data from the school registrar. Check to be sure all pre-loaded information is correct, especially your major and GPA (if included); if you find any errors, contact your school's Career Services Center to correct it, as Handshake is unable to change any of your profile data.
For more information on filling out your profile, refer to How to Drive Profile Completion.
4. Explore Handshake!
Use your home page, the top search bar, and filters to look for companies and jobs you're interested in learning more about or applying to. Remember, you can always save your searches in Handshake, so finding relevant employers and jobs will be easy.
Below is an example of what your homepage could look like with various resources:
- Jobs: explore active job and internship postings
- Employers: discover employers approved to connect with your school
- Community: (dependent on your profile privacy) connect with other students and alumni
- Career Paths: explore job roles and job role groups
- Events: discover events and fairs hosted both by approved employers or your school
- Career Center: If your school partners with Handshake, you'll see your school's Career Center link on the homepage and also next to your account icon in the upper-right corner. Use these links to connect with your Career Services staff via Appointments, complete a First Destination Survey, take a survey, or check out additional resources.
5. Follow some jobs and employers you're interested in.
When you follow an employer or a job, you can begin filtering based on companies you follow. You'll also receive alerts when the job application window is closing or when an employer is attending an event or fair at your school.
Once you've taken these five steps, you'll be on your way to using Handshake to help you efficiently and effectively launch your career!