To use Handshake as a current student or alum, you'll need a Student account type. The Student account type provides the same basic access for current students and alumni, although individual schools may only provide certain services to current students.
The features available to a Student account type depend on:
- your account's connection with a school instance (described below)
- your school's partnership status with Handshake
- A school is considered a Handshake partner if the Career Services Center has chosen to manage your school's instance and use Handshake for additional features, such as managing Appointments, internships (via Experiences), First Destination Surveys, and more.
- Schools that haven't yet partnered with us may still have a school instance as part of the Handshake Open Network. Read more about our goals for Expanding Our Efforts to Help All Students Find Opportunity.
Once your account is connected with a school, your homepage will include various resources:
- Jobs: explore active job and internship postings
- Events: discover events and fairs hosted both by approved employers or your school
- Employers: discover employers approved to connect with your school
- Recommendations for engagement: prompts to attend an event, follow employers, schedule 1-on-1 time with employers, and more
If you haven't used Handshake yet, check out Getting Started in Handshake!
Not connected to a school in Handshake
If your account is not connected to a school instance yet, you can manage your profile and access public career fairs on Handshake. This is typical if you created a new account your school request is pending.
For more information on how to get connected with a school, check out If You Can Only Access Profile and Fairs.
If you attend a Handshake-partner school
Once you're connected to a Handshake-partner school, your school's Career Center is linked on the homepage and also next to your account icon in the upper-right corner. Use these links to connect with your Career Services staff via Appointments, complete a First Destination Survey, take a survey, or check out additional resources.
Here's an example of the homepage for a student connected to a Handshake-partner school:
If you attend a school that hasn't yet partnered with Handshake
If you are connected to a school that hasn't yet partnered with Handshake, you can:
- manage your profile
- access fairs and events hosted by Handshake-partner schools and shared publicly
- apply to jobs posted by a subset of trusted employers
The key way to identify if your school is a Handshake partner or not is if the Career Center link is not displayed on the homepage or next to your account icon–instead, Messages is immediately to the left of your account icon.
If you're enjoying your experience on Handshake, feel free to encourage your career center to formally partner with us and we can unlock additional benefits for you and your school!
Here's an example of the homepage for a student connected to a school that is not yet partnered with Handshake:
Article is closed for comments.