Handshake users can create different accounts types (Career Services, Student, or Employer) using the same email address. If you have created multiple accounts and would like to switch users effortlessly, this resource will guide you through the process!
If you haven't yet created a student or employer account, refer to the resources below:
- Create a Student Account Associated with Your Career Services Account
- Create an Employer Account Associated with Your Career Services Account
Switching Users from a Career Services or Employer account
1. Locate your name in the upper-right corner of the Handshake screen, and click the dropdown arrow to the right of your name.
2. Click Switch Users.
3. All connected accounts will be listed - click on "Switch to X Account" to access that account type.
Note: if an expected account type is missing from the list, double-check if the account is linked to a different email address. For example, if your institution uses multiple domains, such as "@sol.ac.uk" and "@schooloflife.ac.uk", Handshake recognises these as separate accounts and will not link them for switching.
Switching Users from a Student account
1. Locate your account icon in the upper-right corner of the Handshake screen (this may be represented as your first initial or a small photo if you have a profile picture), and click the account icon.
2. Click Switch Users, above the Help option.
3. All connected accounts will be listed–click on "Switch to X Account" to access that account type.
Errors when switching accounts
If you encounter a message about the need to verify your email address, this means you will need to verify your email address linked to the Handshake account. Click the verify your email address link to be sent a verification email.
Click the link in the email to proceed with verification and resume normal usage of your account.
A few reasons you might receive this message:
- Support at one time manually added your account upon request and approval
- Support assisted with a sync and you never truly verified your account
Note: each user account created in Handshake will need to be verified.
If you encounter a message that states you have not confirmed your email address, this means you have not confirmed the email associated with your account and will need to do so.
Click the link within the message to resend the confirmation email and follow the instructions in the email to confirm your account.
If you are not receiving the confirmation email, check out Troubleshooting a Missing Confirmation Email for further assistance.
Article is closed for comments.