Why should I make a Handshake account if I already have a LinkedIn account?
Handshake has the most opportunities for students and new college grads of any job platform, and is the only one that lets employers recruit specifically at your university.
All the jobs are posted just for students, which means you aren’t competing against professionals with 5+ years of experience. No experience required.
Why should I fill out my Handshake profile?
Handshake will give you personalised job recommendations based on the information you provide on your profile—so you can find jobs and internships that are right for you.
Recruiters are five times more likely to proactively reach out to you with job opportunities and event invitations if your profile is complete.
Which parts of my Handshake profile are most important to fill out?
In addition to your major, Handshake also uses your job interests to recommend opportunities to you. Job interests include:
- Job type: Looking for an on-campus job, internship, part-time job, or full-time job? You can choose more than one.
- Preferred location: Select the cities you would like to work in, and Handshake will show you jobs in that area.
- Job role: Choose at least three positions you would like to explore, like “marketing associate” or “data analyst.”
Tip: You can change and update interests whenever you want!
What are the top things employers search for?
Beyond your job interests, employers want to know:
- Previous work experience: Have you had a part-time job, internship research position and or volunteered? Employers like to see that you’ve taken on responsibility, and that these experiences have helped you develop valuable skills.
- Skills: Add technical skills like SQL along with soft skills like communication. The more skills you list, the better your chances are of showing up in an employer search.
- Clubs and organisations: These signal your specific interests, affinity groups, and participation and involvement on campus.
Tip: Employers use a combination of job interests, work experiences, skills, organisations, and courses to find candidates they’d like to connect with. Show up in more searches—fill them out!
Why should I care about other students on Handshake?
Chat with students and alumni who’ve been there. When you view a job or employer page, you can see other students who have worked there and reach out to them with your questions.
Get an inside look at company culture, interview tips, and more through company reviews. You can also find answers to common career questions (or ask your own!) in Q&A.
Tip: Search for students to connect with based on their degree subject, work experiences, and more!
Why should I make my profile public?
Help employers find you. If your profile is public, you’ll show up in searches when they’re recruiting for jobs and internships.
Connect with and mentor other students. Help other students along their career journeys by making your own visible. And give them the opportunity to reach out.
Don’t worry, your profile will not be public to employers that have not been approved by your institution or to anyone without a Handshake account.
Can I use Handshake on my phone?
Yes! Download the Handshake App to search and apply to jobs right from your phone. Get notified and never miss a message from an employer, be first to see new job postings, and apply in two taps with Quick Apply.
What is the best way to use keyword search and filters?
Narrow down and customise your job search. Filter through jobs by criteria such as job type, location, and industry.
Keyword search helps you find jobs whose description includes a word that you’re looking for. For example, if you search for the keyword “accounting,” you will see jobs where the word accounting appears in the posting.
Tip: Save your searches to quickly access a set of filters you’ve used in the past!