Employers can reply directly to student messages from their email client without logging into Handshake.
Note: reply by email is available for all messages and role types.
When a student messages you, an email notification is generated and sent to your email address. Click the red button View the Message and Reply in the email to send a response from your email client.
The message will be automatically created and stored in your Handshake inbox within 5 minutes after you reply.
Signatures are included, but the following items aren't supported:
- hyperlinks (URLs can be included in replies, but they cannot be formatted as links)
- using Handshake templates in your reply
- Automated replies (outside OOO)
- CC’ing additional users
- Adding images or attachments
- generating a new message (you can only respond to messages sent to you)
The notification email details are:
From: "Handshake <email@example.com>"
Subject: You have a new notification
Hello YOUR NAME,
You have a new message from STUDENT NAME.
student's full message displayed
View the Message and Reply (RED BUTTON)
You can also reply directly from this email
Respond to this message by simply replying to this email any time within 6 months of receiving it.
Note: Candidates will receive a plain text version of your response. For security purposes any images, links, fonts, and other such formatting will be removed.
The Handshake Team"
Note: if you reply via email, your email address won't be visible to the student.
New message notification setting
To receive student messages to your email client, you must have the new message notification enabled. Learn more about Default Notification Preferences (Employers).
1. Click on your name in the upper-right corner of the page, then click User Settings and select Notification Preferences.
2. From here, scroll down to Messages, and ensure that "I am sent a new message" is checked.
Note: if the setting is checked, and you're still not receiving the notification emails, contact our Support team here.