If a student created a duplicate account in Handshake, or if they are requesting their account to be deleted, you can delete their account from the system.
Note: if your institution imports student data, you'll need to reach out to the person that manages your student sync to ensure the deleted account is also removed from the student sync, so the account won't be recreated.
Delete a student account
1. Navigate to the student profile in Handshake.
2. Click the Account tab in the upper-right corner of the page.
3. Click the red Delete button, located in the lower-left area below all the settings.
- if the student has any historical data connected to the account, such as: Appointments, Applications, Experiences, or First Destination Surveys, the system will not allow you to delete the student. A pop-up will appear in the middle of the screen confirming the data the student is connected with in Handshake. You will need to submit a ticket to Handshake Support to process the deletion.
- if the student does not have any historical data connected to their account, a pop-up will appear in the middle of the screen where you can confirm that you would like to delete the student's account by typing their email address into the text box and then clicking the red Delete button.
- Note: This account will be permanently deleted and the Handshake team can not recover the account.
Note: students have the option to request an account deletion in Handshake. To learn more about the student process, refer to Request User Account Deletion.