A career fair is a great platform for your students to meet potential employers. In Handshake, we provide the flexibility to allow you to create the parameters regarding size and scope of your career fairs and to select which students and employers to invite.
You can create a new career fair from any page in Handshake. Click Fairs on the left navigation bar to get started. You'll be taken to the Fairs overview page where you'll see any career fairs your school has already created.
- Career Fair Name
- Career Fair Logo (image size guide link)
- Point of Contact for Students (select from an existing contact or create a new one)
- Status (once published, it will be visible to students and employers)
These steps are for an in-person fair - If you'd prefer a virtual fair, please use Virtual Fairs: Creation.
- Is this career fair in-person or virtual? (select one)
- Is this career fair facilitated on Handshake? (select one)
- Student Registration Link (if external)
- Location (for in person fairs only)
Dates and Times
- Time Zone
- Student RSVP Limit (the maximum number of students that may attend - leave blank for no limit)
- Start Time & End Time (click the calendar icon to select)
- Focus Area (If your career fair has several dates and times, you can add a focus area for each. For example: Engineering Students, Companies Hiring Designers, etc.)
- Booth Map (you can add this later, too!)
- Add new date and time (formerly referred to as sessions)
Workflow considerations: If you’d like to allow students from other schools to attend, you can check the appropriate box, however, students will not see the fair as discoverable unless you invite another school!
- Allow students from other schools to attend
- Career fair is invite only (check for yes)
- Student registration start and end dates and times
- Student registration survey (Select a survey you'd like students to complete as part of registration. If you don't see the survey you want to include, create it by clicking the word here.)
- Hide this career fair from employers (Employers won't be able to discover this career fair unless you create and share a preview link with them)
- Employer registration start and end dates and times
- Employer instructions (shown to employers on the registration page, not visible to students)
- Employer payment methods (payments do have to be enabled at your school in order to select Credit Card)
- Payment Instructions (These instructions are sent in the employer invoice notification email and also appear on the employer invoice if you allow "Other" as a payment method)
- Approve employers before invoicing
- Employer refund policy
- Employer description
- Allow all majors (Check this if you want employers to specify that they accept all majors on registration)
- Choose majors (if you want to restrict majors employers can select from)
- Employer registration survey (Select a survey you’d like employers to complete as part of registration, or create a new survey if needed.)
- Survey title (This title appears as the heading for your employer registration survey. If you leave this field blank, the title will default to "Extra Questions.")
- Student description (The career fair description that is shown to students)
- Student welcome message (Emailed to students after they register for this career fair)
- Employer description (The career fair description that is shown to employers)
- Employer welcome message (Emailed to employers after you approve their career fair registration)
- Default invoice message (Use this template to invoice a registered employer - you will be able to add a custom message when sending the invoice as well)
- Name tag printing (If this is checked attendees will be able to print name tags from the check-in kiosk)
- Name tag label XML (Only Dymo label printers are supported. Label fields named 'Name', 'FirstName', 'LastName', 'Major', 'GradDate', and 'MajorGradDate' are supported.)
When you’re finished, click the green Create Fair button in the lower-right corner of your page to save your creation!
Next Steps: Configure Details
At this point, you've created the basic structure of your career fair. Now it's time to configure additional details of your fair.
When the fair has been created, you'll be taken to a page where you can edit the basics you just created and add more details. The default view will be on the Details tab, and you can use the boxes on the left side of the page to navigate:
To see what the registration process looks like from an employer's perspective, please refer to our employer help center article Registering for a Career Fair (Employers).
If you need to complete registration on behalf of an employer, please refer to Registering for a Career Fair on Behalf of an Employer.
To see what the registration process looks like from a student's perspective, please refer to our student facing help center article Registering for a Career Fair (Students).
For more information on the full virtual career fair offering, please see our blog posts linked below!