Handshake’s ATS integration with Greenhouse helps you increase efficiency, improve the candidate experience, and connect your activities to outcomes.
Premium features are for Handshake Premium accounts only. For more information, please check out this resource! Premium partners should reach out to their Account Manager to get set up with our ATS integrations.
If you need to set up your Greenhouse Integration, refer to How to Integrate Greenhouse with Handshake.
Below, we have outlined the steps to post and manage a job on Handshake with Greenhouse.
Posting a Job
Greenhouse can be set up for newly created jobs in Handshake or jobs that do not have applicants yet.
Existing jobs in Handshake with applicants cannot be linked to Greenhouse recruiting postings.
If you would like to sync applications for an existing job, you'll need to expire the job and create a new posting for it.
Note: duplicating existing or expired jobs will result in an unsuccessful connection between Handshake and Greenhouse.
1. Once your job is in Handshake, select the job from Greenhouse from the Select Greenhouse job to link dropdown.
- The job must be marked as Live and Public in Greenhouse for it to be available in Handshake!
Note: the integration doesn't automatically cross-post Greenhouse jobs into Handshake, so a job must be selected.
2. Job details from Greenhouse will automatically populate in Handshake. Confirm details are accurate and formatted as desired.
- Job Details
- Number of Positions
- Employment Type
- Paid / Unpaid
- Required Documents
3. Decide whether to require documents (such as a resume or cover letter).
Required document(s) must be checked in the Details tab of the job posting in Handshake for the selected document(s) to sync in Greenhouse. If they are left unchecked, applicants won't be prompted to submit a document, and their application won't have a document in Greenhouse regardless of the Greenhouse job settings.
Note: including this requirement will enable you to receive Applicant packages from Handshake as well.
4. Complete your job posting and post your job to schools. For guidance, refer to How to Post a Job.
Note: if you expire your job posting in Greenhouse, it will also expire in Handshake unless it is linked to an Interview Schedule in Handshake.
Once configured, Greenhouse jobs should sync instantaneously. If jobs aren't appearing within a few minutes, the configuration may not be working. Reach out to our Tech Support team by submitting a ticket here.
Student Application (process)
Students can apply directly in Handshake without being redirected to Greenhouse.
Note: this creates an application in Handshake and Greenhouse.
- Students apply for your job by clicking Quick Apply on the job posting in Handshake.
- Students can upload a resume and/or cover letter as specified, and complete the required and optional questions configured in Greenhouse, including custom demographic questions.
- After completing and submitting the application, their application will appear in Greenhouse automatically.
- In Handshake, the student will be prompted to confirm whether their application was submitted.
Review Applications in Greenhouse
Once a student submits an application, it will automatically appear in Greenhouse with all of their information.
The application includes:
- First name, Last name, and email address
- Source as Handshake
- Resume and Cover Letter (if required)
- under the Application or Details tab > Source & Responsibility section (in Greenhouse)
- Responses provided to any required or optional Job Post Questions.
- Responses to custom demographic questions (if any).
Note: applicant education information (like degree, school, and discipline) isn't pulled into Greenhouse.
Application Status Sync
Handshake's integration with Greenhouse uses real-time application status syncing, which means applicant statuses update in Handshake as they are hired or rejected in Greenhouse Recruiting.
The status of each application is updated as soon as the status of that application is changed on Greenhouse, and it displays in the Status column in the Applicants tab of the job posting.
With these statuses synced, you can more accurately source new applicants and analyze past recruiting efforts.
Managing Applicants in Handshake
Handshake's ATS integrations automatically sync candidates that initiate the application process directly from within Handshake as well as with the external ATS posting to allow for clearer attribution in Talent Analytics: Applicants.
The job's Applicants tab includes an additional filter titled Origin, which allows you to easily distinguish between applications submitted through your ATS and Handshake. Learn more in our Job Applicant Management Guide.
Employers that wish to opt-out of this feature can reach out to their CSM or submit a ticket to Support here.
To learn more about our other ATS integrations, visit Integrations & SSO.