Virtual Help Rooms streamline the fair support experience for you, your students, and employers by allowing you to set up dedicated help rooms within each fair.
Rooms may be preconfigured, so you can share the link easily ahead of time, and quickly launch the rooms from the Session Details page to provide support to registrants and attendees.
Virtual Help Rooms can be configured at any point prior to the end of the fair and regardless of the fair's "drafting" or "published" status.
Virtual Help Room Setup
To set up virtual help rooms, navigate to the relevant fair in Handshake, then click the Edit tab in the upper-right corner of the page. From the menu on the left, click Virtual Help Room Setup.
If you'd like to offer help rooms for students or employers, or both, check the box(es) for each:
- Yes - Offer an employer help room
- Yes - Offer a student help room
Once a box is selected, the text field will become usable, and you can then paste a pre-configured video conference link.
Click the blue button Submit to save your changes. A green confirmation will appear in the lower-right corner to confirm the save.
Note: if you need to change the help room link, you can edit this link at any point prior to the end of the fair. The button appears the same regardless of the link used.
Launching a Virtual Help Room
After the rooms are configured, you'll be able to launch the designated rooms at any point to confirm functionality.
From the fair overview page, click on Session Details from the far right, then click Join Virtual Help Room in the upper-right corner of the page.
From the dropdown, choose Start Student Help Room or Start Employer Help Room to launch the video link. You can also access Virtual Room Settings if needed.
The link will launch in a new tab, leaving your Session Details page open for quick access.
Note: for employers and students, the buttons to join will appear one hour prior to the scheduled fair start time and disappear at the fair's end time.
Employer view day-of fair:
Student view day-of view fair:
Strategy and considerations
Our team doesn't plan to launch a help room until 30 minutes prior to the fair start. Can we change the button availability from 1 hour to 30 minutes till?
- The button availability is preset to 1 hour prior to fair start.
- Our recommendation is to pre-configure your video conference tool to "start" the meeting at 30 minutes till, and include a message for participants to clarify the meeting start time.
- You can also emphasize the help room start time in your emails to employers and students prior to the fair.
- As another workflow, you can wait until 30 minutes prior to the fair start to enable the virtual help room and add the links.
We are hosting a multi school fair. Who will be able to access the help room?
- The button is accessible for students across institutions and employers at all multi school- fairs!
- Note: Only the host school career services team has access to manage this setting.
Which employers and students can access the help room button?
- Employer access: Only employers that are registered and approved can access the help room button.
- Student access: Any student who has access to the fair page can also access the help room button.
Can we use Virtual Help Rooms for the Virtual on Handshake appointments?
- This setting is only an option for virtual fairs on Handshake.