Events on Handshake allow for students to register and attend virtual, in-person, and hybrid events. Students or schools can check-in students to an event to keep track of (and report on) which students are attending the event.
There are four methods or sources of check-ins for events:
- Check-in Kiosk - Students can register and check-in to an event by kiosk. To learn more about launching a kiosk for an event, refer to Launch a Check-in Kiosk.
- Video - If the event is a hybrid or a virtual event, upon clicking Join Event, the student will be checked-in to the event automatically.
- QR Code - You can generate a QR Code for students to scan – after entering their email address when prompted, the student will be checked-in. Read more about QR codes for events on Handshake here QR Code Check-in for EDU Hosts.
- Manual - Registered students can be checked in manually from the Attendees tab. Click on the relevant student from the list of registered students, then check the box for Checked In.
- Note: If the relevant student is not already registered for the event, you can add them to the event manually as well. To do this, go to the Event page, and click Add an Attendee, then select which student you’d like to add to this event.
Check-in Source in the Attendee Report
We have now added a column to our Attendee Report which shows what the Check-in Source for a student registration is. This will help keep track of how students have joined the event.
The Attendee Report can be downloaded by following the steps here Attendees: Download an Event Attendee Report. After downloading the report, you’ll be able to view the Check-in Source under column G.
Note: This information is tracked back to 07/29/2022. Check-in Source information will not be available for events that were hosted prior to this date.
Does this work for events that employers have created?
If students check in through one of the formats above, then yes! We do not yet have a check-in source for premium employer check-in kiosks, so if a student checks in through that route, the source will currently be blank.
What if I import attendees for an event?
There is no specific check-in "source" field for this flow, so the source field will show up blank for any imported attendee.
What if a student checks in more than once?
Similar to the check-in "time" your report will display the original check-in source. So if a student checked in through a kiosk and then again through QR code, the report would display "kiosk" for source.