Please note: Premium features are for Handshake Premium accounts only. For more information, please check out this resource.
Segments are a filtered group of students that you can use to create a campaign or identify job matches. Campaigns are messages you'll send to these selected students, typically in regards to a job posting or event.
1. Click on Segments from the left navigation bar. This will take you to the Segments page, where there will be a list of all live segments created by yourself and other staff members.
- Name: The Name of the Segment
- Date Created: The date the Segment was created
- Count: The number of students within the Segment
- Institutions: How many institutions are included in the Segment
- Owner: The creator/owner of that Segment
- Envelope: Create Campaign directly from that Segment
- Pencil: Edit Segment
- Paper: Duplicate Segment
- Trash Bin: Archive Segment
2. Click Create Segment in the upper-right corner to build your own.
Use the filters to identify the subset of students you'd like to include. While you add more filters, you will see a dynamic query being built on the right side of the page - as you select more filters, the number of students included will typically decrease.
Note: Segments are fluid, meaning students can move in and out of segments as their profiles change. For example, if a student’s course or level of study changes on their Handshake profile, and it no longer matches your segment criteria, they will fall out of that segment.
The current filters in Segments include:
- Specific institutions (or you can add a pre-built institution list)
- Profile Keyword
- Course Groups, Keywords, and Categories (TEM/STEM/Liberal Arts)
- Graduation and Class Standing
- Student Selected Interests: Job Roles, Industry, Full or Part Time jobs, Desired Location
- Achievements & Accolades (i.e. Teaching Assistant, Has Previous Work Experience, Security Clearance, etc.)
- Current Location
- Skills & Experience (i.e. Desired Skills, Coursework, Work Experience)
- Underrepresented Groups
- Note: If you select an underrepresented group filter, you must select at least one other filter on the segment in order to populate results - these filters may not be used alone.
3. Once you have selected all desired filters, in the upper-right corner of the page, enter a segment name and click Save Segment.
4. After saving, you will be taken directly back to the Segments overview page. Your new Segment will be saved at the top. You may also use the search box on this page to locate your Segment.
For an in-depth overview on Segments & Campaigns, check out our video tutorials below!