Here’s a step-by step process on how to register for virtual fairs, and manage Your Schedule in Handshake!
You can register for the fair and sign up for sessions from the assigned start date until the scheduled end date of the fair.
Identifying and registering for fairs
1. Click on Events from the top menu bar of Handshake, in the upper-left corner of the screen. This menu bar appears no matter which page you are on.
Alternatively, you can click on Attend an event from the banner at the top of your homepage.
2. On the Events Discovery page, either click on Employers from the menu in the upper-left corner of the page, or click the text View more, in the lower-right below the Meet with employers row.
3. Use the filters in the upper-middle of the page to narrow down your results. To locate a virtual career fair, click on the following filters:
- Category, then check Career Fairs to narrow down your results. To proceed with the search, click the blue button View Results in the lower-right corner of the pop-up.
- Format, then check Virtual to display virtual fairs only. To finalise the search, click the blue button View Results in the lower-right corner of the pop-up.
Note: a number will be displayed on the Category and Format buttons to confirm the number of filters has been applied.
Fairs displayed may be created by your institution, or your institution may be invited to participate in a virtual fair hosted by another institution.
If you would like to view fairs posted by your institution only, click:
- More Filters, then check the box to the right of Posted by my institution. To finalise the search, click the blue button View Results in the lower-right corner of the pop-up.
If you'd like to save a fair for later, click the bookmark icon on the event, then click the bookmark icon in the upper-right corner of the page to access it at any time!
4. Click on the name of the fair you'd like to participate in and be directed to the events overview page. The overview page displays details about the fair, including the registration end date, the fair's contact, as well as the options to Save (bookmark icon) and Register in the upper-right corner.
Right above the listed Contact's information, there are three tabs:
- Available sessions — click this tab to review available employer sessions
- Note: You can sign up for sessions without clicking "Register" first! You'll be automatically registered for the fair upon your first session signup.
- Your schedule — once you've signed up for at least one session, this is where the session details are listed (and how you'll join the session when it starts)
- Career fair details -the default tab that loads with fair setup details
- Note: When you register for the fair, if your institution has added custom questions for students, you'll be prompted to answer those questions. Upon finishing the survey, you'll receive a registration confirmation in the lower-right corner of the page and be redirected back to the fair.
If you click the Register, a confirmation popup will appear on your screen – click View employer sessions.
4. Clicking "View employer sessions" will take you to the Available Sessions page. You can come back to this tab at any time to register for more sessions, even during the fair!
- Tip: use the filters or keyword search on this page to find interesting employers!
5. When you locate an employer that you'd like to sign up for a session with, look for the session information to appear below the employer name and description.
- Group sessions will have a custom title and indicate a length of 30 minutes.
- If multiple divisions (departments) from the company have registered, the group session title may include the division name for clarity!
- 1:1 sessions are indicated by "One on One with EMPLOYER NAME" and are 10 minutes each.
6. Click on the name of the session you'd like to sign up for.
If your profile privacy needs to be updated to participate, the following prompt will appear when you click to sign up for a session:
- Note: We recommend using Community to make the most of your Handshake experience, as this will allow you to participate in all fair sessions and engage with other students/alumni! For more information on privacy, please refer to Profile Privacy Options in Handshake.
- Review the information, and if you'd like to proceed, click Confirm to sign up.
- If a Group Session is at capacity, it will not appear in the list any longer, so if it's listed, that means there is still availability.
- The session host's name is listed with their job title below. Click on your preferred session start time, then click Confirm to sign up.
- You can sign up for only 1 session per recruiter –– to sign up with another recruiter, click on "One on One with EMPLOYER NAME" again, then select your preferred session.
- If there's a red dot to the right of a session start time, that indicates you are currently signed up for a different session during that time.
- In order to sign up for this session, you'd need to cancel the existing session sign up.
7. We provide a prompt once per fair to double-check your CV. The prompt will appear after you click Confirm on your first session signup:
"Make sure your CV is up-to-date before your session. Hiring managers review CVs of students that attend their events and match them to open positions that may be a good fit."
You can click Double check CV to review your uploaded CVs and confirm which one is public (viewable by the employer), or you can click I'm all set! if you know the public CV is correct.
If you currently have a CV marked as visible on your profile, it'll be indicated in the list as "currently on profile".
You can click Upload another document in the lower-right corner if the desired document isn't listed. This will allow you to select a document from your computer to upload.
Click the desired CV to make visible, then click Add CV to profile.
A confirmation will appear stating your CV is ready to go, and "Employers can now view this document on your profile. You can change visibility settings at any time in Documents."
For more information on managing documents and visibility in Handshake, please refer to Understanding Document Visibility.
Managing session RSVPs
You're able to sign up for as many sessions as desired, with the following guidance:
- Session times may not overlap. If you would like to sign up for a session, but there's a red dot to the right of the time, this indicates the time overlaps an existing signup. You'd need to cancel the existing session or event registration in order to proceed.
- You may sign up for multiple 1:1 sessions from the same employer, but not more than one session with the same recruiter. If you'd prefer a different session time with a recruiter, you'll first need to cancel your existing 1:1 session, then select a new time.
As you sign up for sessions, a list of sessions will populate to the right of your screen in Handshake.
Click on the name of a session for more information about the session or to cancel your reservation.
You can also click on the the tab for Your schedule in the upper-left of the fair's page to for a list of signed up sessions.
- Click the name of the session for more information or to cancel the session.
- Click Show open sessions to sign up for more sessions.
You can cancel session signups up until the time that they are scheduled to start. We'll show a warning whenever a session is cancelled, to promote professional behaviour.