When processing job posting requests, if you choose to decline a posting, a popup appears to gather more information:
- select a reason for the decline. These job decline reasons make it easier for employers to understand why their job was declined at a specific institution.
- The selection chosen will be added as a comment to the job's comment history. Employers are able to review the decline reason and comment added.
- choose to share your name with the employer.
- choose to allow employers to initiate a second request for approval after being declined once.
In the prompt that appears, check the appropriate box(es) that represent the reason for the decline; you may add comments in the text box if you'd like.
Check at least one of the boxes listed:
- Pay structure
- This job is being declined due to its pay structure
- An upfront cost is required
- This job is being declined for requiring an upfront cost
- Job does not match my institution's offerings
- Note: We do not recommend declining jobs based on academic/degree fit. Handshake will only recommend this job to students who we think may be interested in it.
- Can't accept jobs from third party recruiters or staffing agencies
- This job is being declined because it is from a third party recruiter or staffing agency
- Location doesn't make sense for my students
- This job is an international position or its location does not make sense for my students
- Job description needs more information (please explain below)
- This job description requires more information
- Other (please explain below)
- This job is being declined for a reason other than those listed above
Note: If the reason isn't listed, check the last box, "Decline reason not listed", and add the accurate reason in the text box: Please tell us more about this decision...
- Share my name with employer (Yes / No)
- If you select this option, your name will be displayed with the comment.
- Would you like to invite this employer to submit this job for approval again after changes or discussion? (Yes / No)
- If you select this option, employers will be able to submit the job for approval one more time, after describing the actions taken. Refer to Processing Job Posting Requests for details on second requests.
If you'd like to review decline reasons for jobs, you may access the decline reason and comment via the specific job overview page–click the arrow to dropdown the comment box.
You can also report on these fields in Analytics via the Jobs template. We've added "decline_reasons" and "decline_comment" to the Postings section.
Keep in mind that any updates made "today" will be processed "tonight" and reflected in Analytics reporting "tomorrow"!