Schools on Handshake are individually responsible for deciding which job postings to approve for their students, and each school has different deciding factors when reviewing job posting requests.
If a school has declined your job posting, they may invite you to resubmit the job for approval after you review the details of the decline and take any requested actions, if you're still interested.
Note: employers can only be invited to resubmit their job once for approval.
To learn how job postings are approved by schools, refer to Understanding Job Posting Approvals.
Overview of job declines
If a school declines your job posting, they are prompted to select a reason for the decline and decide whether to allow a second request for approval.
The reason provided by the school allows the employer to find out specifically why they were declined.
The reason selected is added as a comment and can be accessed from the Requested schools section in the Schools tab of the job posting. Learn How to View Comments on a Job Posting.
The reason is visible to both the school's team and your company profile connected teammates.
If the school chooses to allow a second request, you will be able to submit a second approval request.
At the time of the decline, an automated email and Handshake notification is sent to the teammate who posted the job, depending on their notification preferences. Explore your Default Notification Preferences (Employers).
1. Click the globe icon in the top-right corner of any page in Handshake, to the left of your name.
2. Select School from the left sidebar, then locate the notification by school name.
The notification reads "A staff member at SCHOOL NAME has declined the job TITLE at SCHOOL NAME."
3. The school name is hyperlinked. Click directly on the job title to view the details.
1. Email notifications are sent to the requestor's email address (connected to the Handshake user account).
The email will read:
Sent from: "email@example.com"
Subject: "Your job [TITLE] has been declined at a school."
"Your job [TITLE] is declined at [SCHOOL NAME]
[SCHOOL NAME] declined your job [TITLE] for the following reason(s):
Comment: VARIES–CUSTOM COMMENT TEXT FROM SCHOOL
[View Decline Details] button.
For more information about the job decline process, visit our help center."
2. Click the red button View Decline Details to login to Handshake and view the details.
Submit a second request
1. In the pop-up modal, review the decline reason as well as any comments provided by the school.
2. You may respond to the decline reason, as well as any comments left by the school, in the text box in the Comments & Activity section. If you do, add your comment, then click the gray button Add Comment.
3. When you're ready to submit a second request, click the blue button Request approval again, then click the gray button Close in the lower-right corner.
Note: if the button is not visible, this indicates that the school has not opted to allow a second request.
4. The job posting will be resubmitted for approval.