A segment is a filtered group of students you can use to create a campaign or identify job matches. A campaign is a message you'll send to these selected students, often about a job posting or event.
Premium features are for Handshake Premium accounts only. For more information, please check out this resource.
Build a segment
1. Click Segments from the left navigation bar. The page will list active segments created by yourself and other teammates.
- Name: the name of the segment
- Date Created: the date the segment was created
- Count: the number of students within the Segment
- Schools: how many schools are included in the Segment
- Owner: the creator of the segment
- Envelope: create a campaign directly from that segment
- Pencil: edit segment
- Paper: duplicate segment
- Trash Bin: archive segment
2. Click the blue button Create Segment in the top-right corner of the page to build your own.
Use the filters to identify the subset of students you'd like to include. The right side of the page will display a dynamic query as you add filters — as you choose more filters, the number of students included will typically decrease.
- When using segment filters, the students included are determined by looking at all of the student's education details that they've made available on their Handshake profile.
- For example, if you're seeking BA candidates who majored in Business, the results may display students who have completed a B.A degree in that specific degree, and are in pursuit of a higher degree, e.g., Masters.
The current filters in Segments include:
- Select individual schools, or add a School List. Learn How to Use School Lists.
- Students in the Handshake Open Network attend 4-year accredited institutions in the United States who have not directly purchased and partnered with Handshake.
Community and Technical Colleges
- Exclude Community College and Technical Schools
- Include ONLY Community College and Technical Schools
- Profile Keyword
- Major Group consolidates majors across schools into a common taxonomy.
- Major Keywords
- TEM Only
- Liberal Arts
Graduation and Class Standing
- I'm looking for (select one)
- New Grad Hires
- Intern Hires
- Recent Grad Hires
- Custom (choose a custom graduation date range)
- I'm looking for (select one)
- Does not have work authorization - will need sponsorship
- Has work authorization - will not need sponsorship
- Status unknown
- Job Role Interests
- Student Industry Interests
Student Job Seeking Interests
- Learn more about Segments: Job Seeking Interests.
- Achievements & Accolades
- Student Location Preferences
- Current Location
- Skills & Experience (i.e. Desired Skills, Coursework, Work Experience)
- Note: if you select an underrepresented group filter, you must select at least one other filter to populate results — these filters may not be used alone.
3. After selecting all desired filters, enter a segment name in the top-right corner of the page, then click the blue button Save Segment.
4. From here, you will be taken directly back to the Segments overview page. Your new segment will appear at the top. The search box on this page can also be used to find your segment.