A segment is a filtered group of students you can use to create a campaign or identify job matches. A campaign is a message you'll send to these selected students, often about a job posting or event.
Learn more about Campaigns: Create and Manage a Campaign.
Premium features are for Handshake Premium accounts only. For more information, please check out this resource.
1. Click on Segments from the left navigation bar. The page will list active segments created by yourself and other teammates.
- Name: the name of the segment
- Date Created: the date the segment was created
- Count: the number of students within the Segment
- Schools: how many schools are included in the Segment
- Owner: the creator of the segment
- Envelope: create a campaign directly from that segment
- Pencil: edit segment
- Paper: duplicate segment
- Trash Bin: archive segment
2. Click Create Segment in the upper-right corner of the page to build your own.
Use the filters to identify the subset of students you'd like to include. The right side of the page will display a dynamic query as you add filters — as you choose more filters, the number of students included will typically decrease.
Note: segments are fluid, meaning students can move in and out of segments as their profiles change. As an example, if a student's major or school year changes on their Handshake profile, they will no longer be included in that segment.
The current filters in Segments include:
- Select individual schools, or add a School List. Learn more about How to Use School Lists.
- Schools in the Open Network and Community Colleges and Technical Schools you've connected with are included by default. These can be excluded, if preferred.
- Profile Keyword
- Major Group
- Major Group consolidates majors across schools into a common taxonomy.
- Major Keywords
- Major Category
- TEM Only
- Liberal Arts
- Graduation and Class Standing
- I'm looking for (select one)
- New Grad Hires
- Intern Hires
- Recent Grad Hires
- Custom (choose a custom graduation date range)
- I'm looking for (select one)
- Work Authorization
- Does not have work authorization - will need sponsorship
- Has work authorization - will not need sponsorship
- Status unknown
- Job Role Interests
- Student Industry Interests
- Student Job Seeking Interests
- Learn more about Segments: Job Seeking Interests.
- Achievements & Accolades
- Student Location Preferences
- Current Location
- Skills & Experience (i.e. Desired Skills, Coursework, Work Experience)
- Underrepresented Groups
- Note: if you select an underrepresented group filter, you must select at least one other filter to populate results — these filters may not be used alone.
3. Once you have selected all desired filters, enter a segment name in the upper-right corner of the page, and then click Save Segment.
4. Upon saving, you will be taken directly back to the Segments overview page. Your new segment will be saved at the top. You may also use the search box on this page to locate your segment.
For an in-depth overview on Segments, check out our video tutorial Segments: Handshake Premium.