Campaigns provide clear, structured calls to action to increase RSVP and applicant conversion rates.
Handshake allows you to tag external jobs and events directly from your CRM or ATS to measure sourced RSVP and applications, as well as collect standardized 'not interested' signals for students who don't respond, and use this data to optimize future campaigns.
Premium features are for Handshake Premium accounts only. For more information, please check out this resource.
Creating a Campaign
1. Click Campaigns from the left navigation bar in Handshake, then click on Create Campaign in the upper-right corner of the page.
2. Select a campaign type to proceed.
- Job: Promote jobs posted in Handshake, your applicant tracking system, or CRM.
- Event: Invite students to RSVP to events such as info sessions, tech talks, and conferences.
- Career fair — Handshake Virtual: Invite students to sign up for sessions at a Handshake virtual career fair.
- Note: if you've set 1:1 qualifications for your fair sessions, students must meet the selected qualifications to view available sessions.
- Career fair — Other: Invite students to RSVP to your non-Handshake virtual or in-person fair.
- Other: Promote your brand without tagging a job, career fair, or event.
Below, you will find how to complete the Details section for each campaign type listed.
Only one job posting can be attached to a campaign regardless of the location.
If the job is posted in Handshake, click the downright arrow to the far right of the Related job field to select the job from a list of active postings.
- If the job isn't posted in Handshake (but is active in an applicant tracking system or CRM), click the box to the left of My job is not available above, then enter the Job URL (required), Job title (required), and Job location (optional) in the provided spaces.
- Note: when external URL's are added, Handshake will not report on the individual candidate that clicks to be referred to your job because there is no post available. For tracking purposes, we recommend posting your job on Handshake and adding it from the Related job field.
When you select an event campaign type, you'll be able to select the Related Event if it's posted in Handshake. Click the downright arrow to the far right of the Related Event field to select the event.
If the event is hosted outside of Handshake, select In external system under Event posting type, and enter the Event posting URL, Event title, and Event location. If your event is hosted externally, click the box to the left of "This event is virtual (no location)".
To successfully send an event via a campaign that isn't targeting specific schools, click the box to the left of “Allow any Handshake student with a link to this event to view and RSVP” in your event settings.
- If this field does not display in the event form, make sure that your external video link is only included in the Web Host URL field and not in both the Web Host URL and Non-Handshake Registration URL fields.
Career fair-Handshake Virtual
Note: this type is intended exclusively for virtual fairs hosted on Handshake. The attachments in these campaigns will redirect students to sign-up for available group and/or 1:1 sessions. Please use Career fair - Other if the fair is virtual and facilitated outside of Handshake, or if the fair is an in-person fair.
When you select the Career fair- Handshake Virtual campaign type, you'll be able to select the Related virtual career fair. Click the downright arrow to the far right of the Related virtual career fair field to select from a list of virtual fairs you've registered for.
Career fair- Other
Note: if a career fair is hosted virtually but is not facilitated in Handshake (is hosted on a third party site), or is hosted in-person, you should use this campaign type.
When you select the Career fair- Other campaign type, you'll be able to select the Related career fair. Click the downright arrow to the far right of the Related career fair field to select from a list of fairs you've registered for.
If you select Other, you will be able to complete the same form as for the other campaign types. However, you will not be able to tag a specific job, event or fair.
The next steps are to select a segment, compose a message and a follow-up, and set the schedule.
After selecting the campaign type and tagging any related items (job, event, or fair), you will be prompted to complete the following fields:
- Campaign Name (only visible to you and your teammates)
- Select a Related teammate (if applicable)
- Provide an additional point of contact for students who want to learn more about your brand.
- Note: all user role types can be tagged with the relevant permission (tagged in message intros or campaigns) except for Representative and Recruiter (Standard).
- Send to segment (choose segment)
- Learn How to Build a Segment
- Maximum audience size (if applicable)
- Exclusions (optional)
- Note: select/deselect exclusions as applicable.
- Applied to a job at your company "in the last 1, 3, 6, or 12 months"
- Received a message from you or anyone at your company "in the last 1, 3, 6, or 12 months"
- Students who aren't seeking job opportunities
- Has these labels (select labels from the dropdown)
- Note: select/deselect exclusions as applicable.
When completed, click Continue in the lower-right corner of the page to proceed.
The next step is to compose your message. The following details must be provided to complete your message:
- Schedule (select a time frame to send your campaign)
- Job: send ahead of application deadline or send on date
- Event & Fairs: send before event/fair, send after event/fair, or send on date
- Tip: if you're promoting the event or sending an event reminder on the day-of, select Send on date to send your campaign that day.
- Subject (if you do not enter a subject, the default text displayed will be the message subject)
- Tip: Learn more about Campaigns: Create, Save, and Use Templates.
If you've attached an item and/or a teammate to your campaign, the cards will be located below the message text box.
Click Preview Message to view how the message (and any cards) will appear to students, or click Continue to proceed.
Compose follow-up (optional)
If you'd like to send a follow-up message, use this section to compose your message. From here, you can schedule your email (select a specific time and date) and students that should receive the message.
- Exclude students who replied to this Campaign is checked by default, so if you'd like to message all recipients again, uncheck this option.
- Attached jobs, events, and fairs will automatically be included. Select Remove Attachment to not include this card.
Note: unless you choose to send a follow-up message, you can't message the same students within 48 hours of the original campaign sent date. If you'd like to connect with the same students in less than 48 hours, a follow-up message will need to be created.
Before sending your campaign, you may preview your follow-up message by clicking Preview Message on this page. When ready, click Continue in the lower right corner of the page to set the schedule.
Review the selected send date(s) and make any necessary adjustments. If you're ready to schedule the campaign, click the blue button Schedule Campaign in the lower-right corner of the page.
If you’ve chosen a Job, Event, or Career Fair Campaign, the “sourced” numbers will be available to you for every Campaign — regardless of whether you’ve tagged a Handshake job / event / fair, or an external job / event.
The open rates are calculated by dividing the number of students that opened a message from the campaign (the original message and/or the follow up message) by the total number of students that were targeted.
To learn more about how students receive and access messages in Handshake, refer to How to Use Messages in Handshake.