If you're interested in creating a Handshake account as a student, but you have a few questions or concerns before doing so, check out this article for more information! It provides answers to common questions about signing up and using Handshake, as well as tips for getting the most out of the platform.
Why should I make a Handshake account if I already have a LinkedIn account?
Handshake is so much more than a site to search for jobs! It also offers you the opportunity to connect with employers and alumni, sign up for events and career fairs, take advantage of your school's resources, and communicate with your career services center.
Handshake is the ideal career site for college students and new graduates, as it offers more career options than any other platform.
Additionally, all the posted jobs are specifically targeted for students and new graduates - This means you aren't applying for jobs that require years of experience.
Ready to create an account and explore jobs? If so, check out Getting Started with Handshake for more information!
Why should I fill out my Handshake profile?
Handshake will personalize job recommendations based on the details you provide on your profile.
Plus, employers often use Handshake to search for candidates, and having a complete profile will make it easier for employers to find you! Additionally, your profile will give you access to exclusive resources such as career fairs, networking events, and workshops that may require qualifications. By completing your profile, you can take advantage of all the amazing opportunities Handshake has to offer.
Which parts of my Handshake profile are most important to fill out?
We recommend filling out your profile in its entirety! This will ensure you're making the most of your experience on Handshake.
For more information on filling out your profile, refer to Completing your Profile in Handshake.
What are the top things employers search for?
Employers may vary in their expectations, but in the majority of cases, they are interested in your:
Job interests - this provides the employer with information on what sort of position you are seeking. Your job interests consist of: the job type, the preferred location, and the job role you are interested in.
- Job type: on-campus job, internship, part-time job, or full-time job
- Preferred location: cities you'd like to work in
Job role: positions you'd like to explore. Example: "marketing associate" or "data analyst
- Tip: you can update your job interests at anytime! Refer to Update Your Career Interests for more information.
- Work experience - this lets the employer know of any past part-time employment, internships, work study, research positions, or volunteer work you've done. Employers like to acknowledge that you have accepted responsibility and have grown professionally through these experiences.
- Skills and qualifications - this lets the employer know what you have to offer. Add technical skills like SQL along with soft skills like communication. The more skills you list, the better your chances are of showing up in an employer search.
- Relevant coursework or certifications - if you have taken courses in your field, or have certifications, this can be a great way to show you have the background to perform the job. It also shows the employer that you are committed to your career and have invested in advancing your knowledge.
- Clubs and organizations - these signal your specific interests, commitment to a cause, and participation and involvement on campus.
Why should I care about other students on Handshake?
Building a network on Handshake gives you the opportunity to exchange tips with others, pass along contacts, receive interview advice, and more!
Connecting with other professionals is an excellent way to identify your career goals and improve your chances of getting the job you want!
To connect with peers and start networking, refer to Peer Messaging in Handshake.
Why should I make my profile public?
Handshake offers you the option to choose your profile visibility at any given time. While your profile visibility is completely up to you, there are some advantages to having your profile public.
Making your profile public allows employers to find you and view your qualifications, which increases the likelihood of you being considered for jobs. It also offers others the ability to find and connect with you, which can lead to new opportunities for collaboration or networking.
To learn more about your profile privacy options on Handshake, refer to Profile Privacy Options in Handshake.
Can I use Handshake on my phone?
Yes! Handshake has an app that can be downloaded iOs and Android devices!
Check out About Handshake Mobile for iOS and Android to learn more.
What is the best way to use keyword search and filters?
The best way to use keyword search and filters is to first determine the keywords that are most relevant to what you are looking for. Once you have identified the keywords, you can use them in combination with filters to narrow down your search results and find the most relevant results.
To find events and career fairs of interest, refer to Discover Events & Fairs in Handshake.
To search for jobs and internships, refer to Searching for Jobs and Internships.