Job postings may be requested at institutions that have approved your company as a connection and granted your company the Post Jobs role (permission).
Upon creating a new job, you'll be able to request posting approval at institutions in Handshake. New job postings may be created from scratch (How to Post a Job) or by duplicating an existing job (How to Duplicate a Job Posting).
If you're unable to post a job to an institution you know you're approved at, check out our troubleshooting resource Why can't I post jobs at an institution that's already approved me?
Job posting approval process
It typically takes 1-5 business days for an institution to approve an employer and their job postings.
If there is no status change within that time frame, or if at any point you have questions, you can followup with the university by leaving a comment on the job posting. Learn more about How to View Comments on a Job Posting.
If you'd prefer to contact the Career Services department at the institution directly, click Institutions on the left navigation bar and then click on the name of the institution you wish to reach. The contact information is displayed on the left of the institution's page.
Job activity statuses
Job postings are considered active if they have one of the following statuses:
- Pending: if a posting is pending, this indicates it has been requested successfully at the institution and has not yet been processed
- In progress: this status indicates the institution is reviewing the posting, and in many cases, requires additional information. Make sure to check the comments for any updates!
- Learn more about How to View Comments on a Job Posting.
- Approved: these postings are visible to students at the approving institution, although the designated Apply Start Date may impact ability to accept applications.
Jobs are considered inactive if they are either:
- Expired: these postings have been previously approved at an institution, and the expiration date has passed.
- Not Posted: newly created jobs that have only been saved and never posted to an institution are "Not Posted".
Posting edits and related outcomes
You can make edits to a job at any time, although the outcomes may vary depending on the job status.
- Pending or In progress: Any changes made while the posting is pending will not impact the status or request date, and the posting will remain "Pending" or "In progress" until the institution processes the request.
- Approved: Editing the job's description will reset all Approved postings to Pending, and the postings will need to be approved again by each institution requested.
- All other edits to the job outside of the Description field will not impact posting approval status, and saved changes will be reflected at all approved institutions.
- Expired: Extending the expiration date on an expired posting will resubmit the posting to the impacted institution(s) for approval.
- All other edits to the job outside of the expiration date will not impact the Expired status, as the posting is considered inactive. If the posting is renewed or duplicated, all saved changes will be reflected to requested institutions at that time.
- When you click Jobs from the left navigation bar in Handshake, jobs are listed in relevant tabs depending on the current status under the filters Active, Expired, or All.
- How to Edit a Job Posting provides details on how to access the editing view.
- Learn how to Expire a Job Posting.
- Steps related to managing expiration dates are included in Extend an Expiration Date or Renew an Expired Job Posting.