You’ve been approved for an interview schedule at a school, and have started receiving applications. Great! Now what? This article will tell you how to manage your applicants for your preselect interview schedule.
Note: To learn how to request an interview schedule at a school, read How do I post an interview schedule?
Note: To learn more about the different types of interviews in Handshake, read Types of Interviews
First, you’ll need to get to your list of applicants:
- Click Interviews on the left hand navigation bar
- Click on the name of the interview you’d like to view applicants for. You’ll be taken to the interview’s details page.
- Select Review Applicants to be taken to the Applicants overview page.
- Filter the list of applicants so you can view them by your specified attributes
- Perform “Bulk Actions” on multiple applicants at the same time
- Perform actions on individual students
- Select candidates to interview
- Designate selected applicants as “primary” or “alternate”
We will take a look at the “Bulk Actions” which are designed to help you take action on multiple applicants at the same time.
4. First check the checkbox next to each of the applicants you’d like to take action on. (To check all of the applicants, check the Student box at the top of the list). You may want to use filters to narrow your list of visible applicants. Checking even one box will cause the bulk actions options to appear at the top of the student list, where the column headers usually are.
5. Choose the bulk action(s) you would like to take. You can
Message Applicants: You will only see this option if your Trust Score is 80 or higher.
Download Application Packages: PDF
Add label: You can tag your current applicants with a descriptive label (“Early Applicants” or “ for example). Later you’ll be able to search your entire applicant pool by any labels you apply. These labels will not be public to the applicants.
Remove Label: If you’ve previously added labels you’d like to remove, you can do so here.
Download Application Packages: Zip
Download Applicant Data to CSV: You will can collect all the applicant data including names, email addresses, and grad dates into one .csv file.
Add Students to Interview Group: Learn how to use this feature in Adding Students to an Interview Group
Remove Students from Interview Group: Remove students from an interview group you've set
Mark Applicants as Primary: Select the candidates as primary candidates. At the top of the page you can view how many days until the primary candidates are notified and able to take slots.
Mark Applicants as Alternate: Select the candidates as alternate. At the top of the page you can view how many days until the alternate candidates are notified and able to take slots.
Mark Applicants as Hired: Hire these candidate(s) for this position.
Mark Applicants as Declined: Decline these candidate(s) for this position. (Note: the declined applicant will not be notified of this action. If you’d like to follow up personally, you’ll need to do so manually.)
Now, let’s look at other actions you can take with individual students:
Click the list (or “hamburger”) menu icon at the far right side of any applicant in your list. Depending on the applicant’s current status, you’ll see some or all of the following available actions:
View Jobs or Interview: Open the interview that this student applied for.
View School: Opens the school’s page, where you can view your current roles and details about the school.
Download Documents: Download the documents the student has added to this interview schedule.
Mark as Hired: Accept the candidate for this position.
Mark as Declined: Decline the candidate for this position. (Note: the declined applicant will not be notified of this action. If you’d like to follow up personally, you’ll need to do so manually.)
- Reset to Pending: Clear the status of the applicant and set back to pending
To view the details of a student’s application, click on his or her name from the list.
To select a student to interview you will need to click Make Alternate or Make Primary next to his or her name, this will their status in the status column
Remember you can always filter by status to see the students who are primary and alternates.
- Once a student has signed up for a slot in the schedule you will see their status change to Slot Taken. This makes it easy to analyze which students still need to sign up for an interview slot.