Here’s a step by step process on how to manage your virtual fairs participation in Handshake!
Identifying and registering for fairs
1. Click on Events from the top menu bar in Handshake. Alternatively, you can click on Events from your Handshake homepage as well.
2. On the events page, you can use the filters at the top of the page to narrow down the displayed list.
- Use the Virtual filter to identify virtual fairs that your school is hosting or is invited to attend!
- If you'd like to save an event or fair for later, click the bookmark icon, then use the Saved filter to view those at a later time.
3. Click on the name of the fair you'd like to register for, then click Register in the upper-right corner of the page.
4. A popup will appear on your screen with information for you to review. Click Register on this popup when you're ready to proceed.
If your school has added custom questions, you'll need to answer those as well:
5. Once you're registered for the fair, you'll be able to view and sign up for available employer sessions. Click the Available Sessions tab in the upper-left of the page, below the fair title and date/time.
- Tip: You can use the filters on this page to narrow down the displayed list of employers!
6. When you locate an employer that you'd like to sign up for a session with, look for the session information to appear below the employer name and description.
- Group sessions will have a custom title and indicate a length of 30 minutes.
- 1:1 sessions are indicated by "One on One with EMPLOYER NAME"
7. Click on the name of the session you'd like to sign up for.
- Note: Your profile privacy may need to be adjusted in order to sign up for sessions.We recommend using Community to make the most of your Handshake experience, as this will allow you to participate in all fair sessions and engage with other students/alumni!
- For more information on privacy, please refer to Profile Privacy Options in Handshake.
- To participate in group sessions students will need to set their profile visibility to Community:
- This option will give you access to Peer Messaging! Choosing Community will make you visible to other students and alumni across all Handshake schools, as well as to employers approved by your school.
- To participate in 1:1 sessions, if students have already chosen Community, then no further action is needed.
- The Employers profile privacy option is the minimum privacy level required to participate in 1:1 sessions and may be selected if students wish to not be visible to other students/alumni or participate in group sessions.
- Review the information, and if you'd like to proceed, click Confirm to sign up.
- If a Group Session is at capacity, it will not appear in the list any longer.
- Each session is 10 minutes in length.
- You can choose which representative to attend a 1:1 session with, if multiple are listed.
- The red dot to the right of a session start time indicates that you are currently signed up for a session during that time.
- In order to sign up for this session, you'd need to cancel the existing session sign up.
If your profile privacy needs to be updated to participate, the following prompt will appear when you sign up for a session:
Note: We recommend using Community to make the most of your Handshake experience, as this will allow you to participate in all fair sessions and engage with other students/alumni!
Managing session RSVPs
Students are able to sign up for as many sessions as desired, with the following guidance:
- Session times may not overlap. If you would like to sign up for a session and see a red dot to the right of the time, this indicates the time overlaps an existing signup.
- Students may sign up for multiple 1:1 sessions from the same employer, but not more than one session with the same recruiter. If you'd prefer a different session time, you'll first need to cancel your existing 1:1 session, then select a new time.
As you sign up for sessions, a list of sessions will populate to the right of your screen in Handshake.
Click on the name of a session to see more information about the session or cancel your reservation.
You can also click on the the tab for Your Sessions in the upper-left of the fair's page to see a list of sessions.
- Click on RSVPed to see more information about the session or cancel your reservation.
Students can leave sessions up until the time that it is scheduled. We will show a warning whenever a session is canceled, to promote professional behavior.
Signing up the day-of the fair
You'll be able to sign up for additional sessions on the day of the fair.
Students will be able to sign up for sessions with availability up till one minute before the start of the session. Once the session has started, students will not be able to sign up.