Employers can proactively message students on Handshake when conditions for recruiting activities are met.
To message students, Core and Handshake Plus employers must have at least one approved job posting or an approved but now closed job posting at the school where the student(s) attend. Refer to Understanding Job Posting Approvals.
To connect with students and alumni in the Open Network, Core and Handshake Plus employers must have at least one approved or closed job posting at any partner school on Handshake. Learn How to Connect with Handshake Open Network.
Additionally, the following must also be true:
- The company is proactively approved by the school (if they do not have a job to post).
- The student(s) has activated their profile and their profile visibility is not "Private"
Messaging limits haven't been reached
- Handshake has set messaging limits to encourage more meaningful and intentional interactions with students. Learn more about Messaging Limits in Handshake.
Note: Premium partners can message students without posting a job. Premium features are for Handshake Premium accounts only. For more information, please check out this resource!
Send message from the Talent page
1. Click Talent from the left navigation bar. Explore A Guide to Talent List.
Tip: use the set of filters located at the top of the table to refine the selection of students you want to message.
2. Click the blue button Message to the far right of the student name you want to message. To select all students, check the box for “Showing [Range] of Number”, then click the blue button Message in the top-right corner of the page.
- Alternatively, you can send a student a message by clicking directly on their name, then clicking the blue button Message in the top-right corner of the sidesheet.
3. This will immediately open a pop-up message window where you can type your message.
4. Once your message is complete, click the blue button Preview Message, then the green button Send.
Curious about Why does Handshake say "message limit reached"?.
Discover our Messaging Best Practices.